RSS

I’m pretty sure this counts as NSFW

30 Apr

There are a couple of motivations behind this bit of stitchery.

Firstly, I wanted to stitch some profanity. Well, actually, just more profanity, since I’ve stitched the word “fuck” many times now. BUT, people seem really inured to that word now. Small children shout it in the streets. Whereas the word I’ve stitched – well, for a lot of people, it’s still well beyond the pale.

Secondly, I wanted to stitch something that would provoke wildly different reactions in people. This has, on the whole, worked. So far I’ve had a whole range of reactions; everything from awkward silence, nervous giggling and conservative nostril-flaring, right through to flat-out laughter and requests for the pattern. I count this as a success.

Thirdly, I wanted to use some of the fabulous yet way-too-large fonts from the antique pattern library. They really are too huge for anything except four-letter words – the finished stitchery is 9 inches wide.

And lastly, I wanted to do some feminist-style word reclamation. I’m no Germaine Greer, but when I found this elegant, swirly, girly font, I couldn’t resist. Because really, if any word should be girly, it’s this one.

Therefore:

So please – share your reactions!

(As a side note, this is also my first serious attempt at framing my embroidery. I think it went rather well, all things considered – especially the fact that the frame only cost me $2, and I have another two that match. Op-shopping crafty bits is certainly the way to go!)

Advertisements
 
6 Comments

Posted by on April 30, 2010 in Craftiness

 

Tags: , ,

6 responses to “I’m pretty sure this counts as NSFW

  1. vintageviolet

    May 1, 2010 at 6:37 pm

    my favourite swear word! lovely font too.
    the framing looks good though i’d say slightly more space around the design would be even better.

     
  2. craftyanddevious

    May 1, 2010 at 9:19 pm

    Thanks!
    More space around the design would definitely be ideal, I agree – the problem is that I didn’t plan particularly well. The AIDA I cut was too short, proportionally speaking, so that any frame that was properly wide enough showed off the edges of the cloth, top and bottom. Retro-correcting problems is never as good as not stuffing up in the first place!

     
  3. vintageviolet

    May 1, 2010 at 10:27 pm

    i know that problem! i’m always doing it ’cause i start something smakk and then keeep adding to it so there’s not enough border around it for framing! i got round these recently by framing in the hoop {there’s a tutorial on my blog}

     
  4. craftyanddevious

    May 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm

    ahhh that’s who you are – love it when I know how people and stuff link up! I actually saw your tutorial on flickr a month ago; very impressed and planning to use it when I get a decent hoop to frame in :)

     

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: